Adding a task
To add a new task:
1. Click the button + New in your task list.
2. A window is displayed, where you can add the title, set the duration, deadline, company and a project the task will be linked to. Note! You can also add a specific timeframe (add a start and due date) to the task. This way, when filtering your tasks by due date, your tasks are in the order they should be done in. Go to Settings > Work and projects > Calendar and tasks and activate to option to Use task due date with exact time.
3. Select the contact person and assign an activity type to sort tasks more easily later on (and get detailed reporting).
4. A task can be checked as Personal. In that case, the task's details are only visible to you, your team members (even the site administrator) can only see, that the task is personal, nothing less, nothing more.
Appointing priorities (different colored ticks) makes the sorting easier and you can distinguish very important tasks from the less crucial ones.
The task is assigned to the creator by default, but you can change it, or mark it as Unassigned and assign it to someone else later on. A project manager can, for example, add unassigned tasks for the entire team and the team members can pick those tasks for themselves. There's more on delegating tasks in this article. Note! With the Time allocation feature, you'll be able to see the availability per user when assigning and more information about it can be read below.
Make sure you set a notification, especially if adding a task to someone else's task list.
If you want to add a task for something you've already done, you can tick the task Done already while adding it. Time entries are created and done tasks go straight into the activity log and work report.
5. Click Save and your new task is added to the task list.
Individual time allocation
Instead of splitting time equally or creating multiple tasks for the same purpose when assigning work, divide tasks into individual chunks between team members to accurately budget and track each user’s utilization.
Go to Settings > Work and projects > Calendar and tasks and tick Use individual time allocation to activate the feature.
By default, when changing the hours allocated to the user, the total task duration remains the same. The time difference is visually indicated next to the Planned duration as a buffer (unassigned time) or deficit (over assigned time). You can automatically update the Planned duration by clicking on the indicator.
Or instead, use the option to keep the planned task duration locked and updated dynamically to match the total sum of hours allocated to assigned users. Tick the Update planned task duration automatically setting to activate the feature.
Once the task has been assigned and saved, each user's individually allocated hours are also visible in the task detailed view.
Availability overview when assigning tasks
When adding new assignments in the Task modify view or in the Gantt chart, the availability of selected users is visualized with indicators shown around their avatars.
To make it even better, when assigning project-related tasks to users who are already linked to the project, they will be grouped at the top of the list. This way, you can select the most suitable assignee for the task, without having to scroll through the full list of users.
Note! The Individual time allocation and Availability overview features are available only on Pro and Ultimate plans.
Additional places to add tasks from
- Quick actions button in the header
If you need to add multiple identical tasks that are linked to different people or companies, just check the boxes in front of the necessary contacts, and on the additional options bar that opens, click the task button to create a new task.
Here's an article on how to view, modify, and delete a task and you can also make your life easier by using recurring tasks. You can also add a task bundle for multiple tasks that act like task templates.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback!