No more manual cost handling with filling in spreadsheets and doing paperwork, back-and-forth emailing with HR and Finances to settle out-of-pocket expenses (like travel costs or lunch receipts), and reimbursements. Instead, automate your entire expense management process with Scoro’s Expensify integration.
Rather than manually adding each receipt to Scoro as an expense document, Scoro’s Expensify integration pulls them into Scoro for you. All the expenses sent to Scoro are automatically linked to the relevant project to make project-related expense handling and cost management simple.
To connect your Expensify account to Scoro, go to Settings > Site settings > Integrations
and switch on the Expensify integration.
Each Scoro company account can be connected with one Expensify policy. Scoro can only be connected with Expensify group policy.
For historic data migration please contact our Support Team
Click the button Connect to Expensify
Insert your Expensify API credentials that can be found at https://www.expensify.com/tools/integrations/
and click Next
The user secret can be obtained once from that link, and if it is lost, a new user secret needs to be generated. That also means that the credentials need to be updated in Scoro. For that, it is wise to hold on to your user secret in case of a disconnect.
Select the desired policy from the list and click Connect.Note!
Only the policies that the connecting user is an admin of are shown on the list.
Configure the connection
After connecting Scoro to Expensify, the next step is to configure the way information is shared between the two systems. Use the Enable/Disable
checkbox in front of each category to define which data is included in the synchronization.Note!
The Expenses sync cannot be disabled.
– Expenses can only be synced from Expensify to Scoro.Start date
– It is possible to determine the date range of the expenses that are synced. When switched on, only the expenses with the Expensify “Date” later than the “Start date” in Scoro are synced. Note!
The “Start date” cannot be earlier than the date of the initial connection with that policy. For the historical data sync please contact our support
– All “Approved” and “Reimbursed” expenses are synced to Scoro by default, but you can also choose to sync “Submitted” expenses.
Projects can be toggled ON and OFF. Scoro projects can be synced to Expensify as a tag group named “Scoro Projects“.Direction
– Projects can be synced only from Scoro to Expensify.Start date
– It is possible to determine the date range of the expenses that are synced. When switched on, only the projects with the Expensify “Date” later than the “Start date” in Scoro are synced. Statuses
– You can define which projects are synced to Expensify by their statuses
. You can customize project statuses under Settings > Site settings > Statuses
. Personal projects
– Personal projects are not synced to Expensify.
Products can be toggled ON and OFF.
can be synced to Scoro as products/services.Direction
– Products can be synced only from Expensify to Scoro.
Advanced settings allow you to configure the integration even more to match your business needs.
You can define whether the sync is manual or automatic. With the automatic sync
, it is possible to pick between different sync frequencies.
The manual sync
can be started by clicking the button Synchronize now
Send error notifications to this email
You can choose an e-mail to which all the sync errors are sent.
All errors are also logged under the Logs
Syncing expenses without a matching user
User matching between Scoro and Expensify is made by e-mail.
You can decide if the expenses without a matching user in Scoro are synced or not.
If the setting is ON, a user has to be selected who will be linked to these expenses.
If the setting is OFF, the expenses without a matching user are not synced.
Only sync expenses linked to a project
If this setting is enabled, only the expenses that have the “Scoro project” tag filled out in Expensify will be synced to Scoro.
Project required in Expensify
If this setting is enabled, the Scoro projects tag group is required in Expensify.
Use advanced project filtering
This setting allows you to go one step further when deciding which projects to sync to Expensify.
You can bookmark a customized project list in Scoro. Only the projects under the selected bookmark are synced to Expensify (see the list of exceptions below). Read more on how to use filter and bookmark lists.Note!
When the setting is enabled, the “Start date” and “Status” will be disabled for the projects in the configuration menu.The list of exceptions:
- User-related permissions are not taken into account when syncing projects to Expensify.
- Personal projects are not synced to Expensify even if they are linked to the bookmark.
- The user filter is ignored when syncing projects to Expensify.
Create a new product if no matching product is found in Scoro
- If this setting is OFF and a category is added to the expense in Expensify, the system will try to find a matching product/service in Scoro. When it does, the product is automatically added to the expense line.
When no matching product is found, the name of the category is added as the expense description, and no new product is created to Scoro.
- If this setting is ON and a category is added to the expense in Expensify, the system will try to find a matching product/service in Scoro. When it does, the product is automatically added to the expense line.
When the matching product is not found, the name of the category is added as a new product to Scoro.
- The product matching between Scoro and Expensify is done based on the name.
Mapping fields between Scoro and Expensify
||Issuer* or comment
When a match is found with the merchant name, the issuer is added to the expense in Scoro. When no match is found, the merchant name is added as “Comment” in Scoro.
Note! No new contacts are created.
||For “Distance” type expenses
||For “Distance” type expenses
||For “Time” type expenses
||For “Time” type expenses
||Date of issue
||The match between Scoro and Expensify taxes is made with tax percentages and tax codes. The sync is only successful when both of these match.
Scoro will always calculate the tax amount using the tax percentage.
Note! When the tax amount is manually modified in Scoro, the expense cannot be saved to Scoro.
||Note! When no matching active currency is found, an error occurs and the expense is not synced.
||This expense is reimbursable to the author
||This expense is chargeable to the client
||Products* or Comment
When the product sync is ON and a match is found, the category is linked to the product. The same also when the “Create a new product if no matching product is found in Scoro“ setting is enabled.
Otherwise, the category is added to the comments.
||If the project sync is enabled, the selected tag is matched to the Scoro project.
||Product or service description
||Check the “Sync expenses that don't have a matching user“ setting.
|Report id + Expense number
Things to watch out for
When using taxes in Expensify, please match the tax rate percentages and codes in both systems manually. If the tax rates and codes don’t have an exact match, the expense is not synced.Currencies
Make sure that you have activated/added all the needed currencies in Scoro. If no active matching currency is found in Scoro, the expense is not synced.